iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Olive oil isn’t just a staple in Mediterranean kitchens; it’s also a beneficial addition to your dog’s diet. Packed with antioxidants, healthy fats, and anti-inflammatory compounds, olive oil can offer numerous health benefits for canines when used in moderation. In this article, we will explore the top choices for olive oils that are suitable for dogs, highlighting their nutritional profiles, benefits, and how to incorporate them into your pet’s diet effectively.
#1 – C60 Evo Dog Supplement, Pure ESS60 in Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Dogs, All-in-One Dog Immune Supplement, Dog Joint and Energy Support, Infused with Natural Bacon Essence, 3 oz – C60 Evo
The C60 Evo Dog Supplement is a natural and potent oil made from pure ESS60 in extra virgin olive oil, infused with natural bacon essence. It is designed to provide overall support for dogs’ health, including joint support and improved cognitive function. The oil is rich in antioxidants, helping to strengthen the immune system, increase energy levels, and support faster recovery after physical activity. It is suitable for dogs, cats, and horses, and is made with high-quality ingredients to ensure the well-being of pets.
#2 – Coconut Paws Organic Oils for Dogs Skin, Hair, Ears, Teeth, and Nails. Organic Pressed unrefined Coconut Oil, Virgin Olive Oil, and Sunflower Oil – aceite de Coco para Perros – 8 fl oz
Coconut Paws Organic Oils for Dogs is an 8 fl oz product made from organic and cold-pressed coconut oil, virgin olive oil, and sunflower oil. It can be directly applied to a dog’s skin, coat, paws, ears, and dry spots or given as a daily supplement with meals for promoting healthy skin, coat, digestion, and cognitive function. It is suitable for addressing issues such as itchy irritated skin, dry fur, fleas, teeth, and overall health.
#3 – Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil, First Cold Pressed, Full-Bodied Flavor, Perfect for Salad Dressings & Marinades, 101 FL. OZ.
Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a full-bodied, robust-tasting oil made from the first cold-pressed olives. It is carefully crafted by The Olive Oil People, a family of farmers, and has been ensuring quality since 1906. This imported olive oil is certified for authenticity by the North American Olive Oil Association and is naturally gluten-free, kosher, and non-GMO verified. It is the perfect choice for salads, marinades, and any dish that could benefit from its robust flavor profile.
#4 – Amazon Fresh Mediterranean Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2QT (2L)
The Amazon Fresh Mediterranean Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a 2-quart (2-liter) product that is cold extracted and has a buttery, mild flavor. It is sourced from growers in Greece, Italy, and Spain and bottled in Italy. This versatile olive oil can be used for cooking and finishing dishes. It is an Amazon brand and is recommended for those who enjoy Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
#5 – Sky Organics USDA Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil- 100% Pure Greek Cold Pressed Unfiltered Non-GMO EVOO- For Cooking Baking – Hair & Skin Moisturizing, 16 oz
The Sky Organics USDA Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a 100% pure Greek cold-pressed and unfiltered oil. It is certified with a protected designation of origin seal, ensuring its origin and purity. This olive oil is ideal for cooking, and baking, and can be used as a salad dressing or a carrier oil for hair and skin products. Its USDA organic certification and unfiltered nature demonstrate responsible manufacturing practices.
#6 – KORVEL Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil 33.8 FL OZ, 1L – Cold Pressed – Koroneiki Olive Oil – Greece – Natural Products – EVOO Fresh Harvest – Light Olive Cooking Oil
The KORVEL Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a premium quality product made from cold-pressed Koroneiki olives grown in the Greek region of Kalamata. It is a natural product without GMOs, additives, or preservatives. This olive oil is rich in fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamins, making it a healthy choice. It has an excellent taste with fruity notes and a fantastic aroma, and it comes in practical packaging that is sturdy and convenient for transportation and storage.
What Are The Benefits of Olive Oil for Dogs?
Olive oil is not just a flavorful addition to your dog’s diet; it also offers a range of health benefits when used in moderation. Here are some of the key advantages:
- Improved Skin and Coat: The monounsaturated fats in olive oil can help improve the condition of your dog’s skin and fur. A healthy coat is often a sign of good overall health, and many pet owners notice a glossier, shinier coat after introducing olive oil into their dog’s diet.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Olive oil is rich in antioxidants like vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids, which have anti-inflammatory effects. These can help reduce inflammation in conditions such as arthritis or other musculoskeletal issues.
- Cardiovascular Health: The good fats in olive oil contribute to heart health by lowering bad cholesterol levels. This could be particularly beneficial for older dogs or breeds that are predisposed to heart issues.
- Digestive Health: Olive oil can aid in digestive health by promoting a smoother passage of food through the digestive tract. It may also help in relieving minor constipation issues.
- Boosts Immune System: The antioxidants present in olive oil are beneficial in boosting the dog’s immune system. A strong immune system helps your pet ward off various diseases and infections.
- Cognitive Health: The monounsaturated fats in olive oil also contribute to brain health, which is particularly important for aging dogs facing cognitive decline.
- Weight Management: While olive oil is high in calories, the types of fats it contains can help you manage your dog’s weight effectively when used in moderation and as part of a balanced diet.
- Anti-cancer Properties: Some studies suggest that the compounds found in olive oil have the potential to slow down the growth of cancer cells, although more research is needed in this area.
- Improved Metabolism: The healthy fats in olive oil can also aid metabolism and nutrient absorption, making it a good supplement for dogs that may have trouble absorbing nutrients from their regular food.
- Palatability: For picky eaters, a drizzle of olive oil can make kibble or other dog foods more appealing.
As with any supplement, it’s important to consult your veterinarian before adding olive oil to your dog’s diet, especially if they have specific health concerns or are on any medications.
Frequently Asked Questions About Olive Oil for Dogs
1. Is olive oil safe for dogs to consume?
Yes, olive oil is generally safe for dogs to consume in moderate amounts. It contains healthy fats and antioxidants that can offer various health benefits, such as improved skin and coat quality. However, because it is high in calories, excessive consumption can lead to weight gain.
2. How much olive oil should I give my dog?
The general guideline is to add about one teaspoon of olive oil per 20 pounds of body weight. Start with a smaller amount and gradually increase to assess tolerance. Always consult your veterinarian for personalized recommendations based on your dog’s health needs.
3. Can olive oil help improve my dog’s coat?
Yes, olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, which can contribute to a shinier, healthier coat. Many dog owners notice an improvement in their pet’s fur quality after incorporating olive oil into their diet.
4. Does olive oil help with inflammation in dogs?
Olive oil contains antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, which have anti-inflammatory properties. These can help alleviate symptoms related to inflammatory conditions like arthritis, although it is not a substitute for veterinary treatment.
5. Can olive oil help my dog lose weight?
While olive oil itself is high in calories, the types of fats it contains can aid in weight management when used as part of a balanced diet. However, it should be used in moderation to avoid excessive caloric intake.
6. Which type of olive oil is best for dogs?
Extra virgin olive oil is the best choice for dogs as it is the least processed and contains higher levels of antioxidants and nutrients. Look for products that are organic and cold-pressed for the best quality.
7. Can puppies have olive oil?
Puppies can generally have olive oil, but it’s important to consult a veterinarian for appropriate dosing and to ensure it is suitable for your puppy’s specific needs.
8. Are there any side effects of giving olive oil to my dog?
Some dogs may experience gastrointestinal issues like diarrhea or vomiting if given too much olive oil too quickly. Always start with a smaller dose and consult your veterinarian if you notice any adverse effects.
9. Can olive oil interact with my dog’s medications?
While olive oil is generally safe, it could potentially interact with certain medications, such as anticoagulants. If your dog is on medication, consult your veterinarian before introducing olive oil into their diet.
10. How should I store olive oil for my dog?
Olive oil should be stored in a cool, dark place, preferably in an airtight container. Exposure to light and air can degrade the quality of the oil over time.
Conclusion: Best Olive Oils for Dogs
Integrating olive oil into your dog’s diet can be a simple yet effective way to enhance their overall health. From promoting a shiny coat to supporting heart health and improving digestion, the advantages are many. However, quality matters—so be discerning in your choice of product. Always consult your veterinarian before making any significant changes to your pet’s diet, and opt for high-quality, extra virgin olive oils to ensure your dog reaps the most benefits.