iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
A well-balanced dog diet is vital for their overall health and well-being. While many commercial dog foods offer a complete nutritional profile, sometimes pet owners seek to enhance their furry friend’s meals with added flavors, textures, and nutrients. Dog food mixers come to the rescue in these instances, providing not just a variety but also an extra boost of essential elements. In this article, we dive deep into the world of dog food mixers, exploring the best options available in the market today.
#1 – Primal Cupboard Cuts Freeze Dried Raw Cat Food & Dog Food Topper, Grain Free Meal Mixer for Dogs & Cat (Beef, 18 oz)
The Primal Cupboard Cuts Freeze Dried Raw Cat Food & Dog Food Topper is a grain-free meal mixer for dogs and cats. Made with fresh grass-fed beef and beef liver, it provides superior levels of amino and essential fatty acids. It also includes USDA-certified organic produce for antioxidants and phytonutrients. Convenient and shelf-stable, this freeze-dried raw food topper can be easily added to your pet’s favorite meal to provide them with wholesome nutrition. Crafted in the USA, it has high-quality protein and added probiotics for safety.
#2 – iHeartDogs Dog Food Topper – Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Seasoning – Grain Free Superfood Meal Mixer (Chicken, 8 Ounce)
The iHeartDogs Dog Food Topper is a freeze-dried raw dog food seasoning that can be added to your pup’s kibble. It is made with fresh and nutritious ingredients and is sourced and made in the USA. This grain-free superfood meal mixer is formulated to boost canine health, with added probiotics, collagen, and taurine. The packaging and processing of this product prioritizes safety and quality.
#3 – iHeartDogs Dog Food Topper – Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Seasoning – Grain Free Superfood Meal Mixer (Beef, 8 Ounce)
The iHeartDogs Dog Food Topper is a freeze-dried, raw dog food seasoning that can be added to your pup’s kibble. It is made with fresh and nutritious ingredients, sourced and made in the USA. The topper includes probiotics to support digestive health and is free of gluten, grains, and soy. It is designed to improve your dog’s overall health, including their mobility, skin, coat, and immune system. The packaging and processing of the product undergo rigorous safety testing to ensure the quality and nutritional value of the toppers.
#4 – Stella & Chewy’s Freeze Dried Raw Super Beef Meal Mixer – Dog Food Topper for Small & Large Breeds – Grain Free, Protein Rich Recipe – 18 oz Bag
Stella & Chewy’s Freeze Dried Raw Super Beef Meal Mixer is a dog food topper that offers a protein-rich and grain-free recipe. Made of 95% beef, organs, and bone, the meal mixer provides a taste that dogs love. It is formulated with whole prey ingredients to support healthy digestion, strong teeth and gums, vibrant skin and coat, and overall vitality. Additionally, the product is fortified with added vitamins and minerals, and contains organic fruits and veggies for natural nutrition.
#5 – Instinct Freeze Dried Raw Boost Mixers Grain-Free Gut Health All Natural Dog Food Topper, 5.5 Ounce (Pack of 1)
The Instinct Freeze Dried Raw Boost Mixers Grain-Free Gut Health Dog Food Topper is a freeze-dried raw food topper that aims to improve gut health in dogs. It is made with responsibly sourced cage-free chicken and includes all-natural, functional ingredients such as pumpkin, sweet potato, chicory root, apple cider vinegar, and probiotics. This grain-free dog food mixer does not contain any artificial colors, preservatives, or common allergens such as grain, potato, corn, wheat, or soy. The raw ingredients are freeze-dried to retain their nutrients and flavors, and the product is made in the USA.
#6 – Primal Cupboard Cuts Freeze Dried Raw Cat Food & Dog Food Topper, Grain Free Meal Mixer for Dogs & Cat (Chicken, 3.5 oz)
Primal Cupboard Cuts Freeze Dried Raw Cat Food & Dog Food Topper is a grain-free meal mixer made with fresh cage-free chicken and chicken liver. It includes USDA-certified organic produce, providing antioxidants and phytonutrients for optimal nutrition. This shelf-stable and convenient product can be easily added to your pet’s regular meal to enhance their diet with whole food nutrition. Crafted in the USA, this freeze-dried food topper is suitable for both dogs and cats of all life stages and contains high-quality protein and added probiotics for safety.
#7 – Stella & Chewy’s Freeze Dried Raw Chewy’s Chicken Meal Mixers – Dog Food Topper for Small & Large Breeds – Grain Free, Protein Rich Recipe – 18 oz Bag
Stella & Chewy’s Freeze Dried Raw Chewy’s Chicken Meal Mixers is a dog food topper that offers a protein-rich and nutritious addition to any dog’s diet. Made of 95% chicken, organs, and bone, it provides the taste that dogs love. This grain-free recipe is easy to digest and contains only the finest ingredients, supporting healthy digestion, teeth and gums, skin and coat, and overall well-being. It is also fortified with added vitamins and minerals and includes organic fruits and veggies for a healthy immune system.
#8 – Instinct Raw Boost Mixers Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Topper, Grain Free Freeze Dried Dog Food Topper | Multiple Sizes and Flavors
The Instinct Raw Boost Mixers Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Topper is a grain-free and all-natural dog food topper made with responsibly sourced ingredients. It is freeze-dried to retain nutrients and enhance flavor, without the use of grains, artificial colors, or preservatives. This product can be used as a dry food topper or as treat, providing variety and supporting healthy digestion and skin & coat. Additionally, the raw ingredients are never cooked, preserving their integrity and nutritional value.
#9 – Stella & Chewy’s Stella’s Solutions Skin & Coat Boost Grass-Fed Lamb & Wild-Caught Salmon Dinner Morsels Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food, 13 oz (SOL-FDLSSC-13)
Stella & Chewy’s Stella’s Solutions Skin & Coat Boost is a freeze-dried raw dog food that aims to improve digestion and promote intestinal health. The all-natural ingredients, such as pumpkin and chicory root, provide fiber and aid in digestion. Made in the USA with responsibly sourced ingredients, this dog food serves as a supplement and feeding solution, offering raw nutrition in a convenient package. It is also highly palatable, even for picky dogs.
#10 – Wellness Tender Toppers (Previously Core Bowl Boosters), Grain-Free Natural Dog Food Toppers or Mixers, Made with Real Meat (Turkey & Chicken, 8 oz Bag)
Wellness Tender Toppers (previously called Core Bowl Boosters) are grain-free dog food toppers made with real meat, specifically turkey and chicken. They can be used as a mixer, topper, or snack along with a complete and balanced food diet. These toppers are crafted with superfoods and all-natural ingredients to support whole-body health, including guaranteed levels of omega fatty acids and added vitamins for healthy skin and coat. Additionally, they are made in the USA with the finest globally sourced ingredients and do not contain any added grain, corn, soy, wheat gluten, artificial colors, or flavors.
#11 – Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Marie’s Magical Dinner Dust – Protein Rich, Grain Free Dog & Puppy Food Topper – Cage-Free Chicken Recipe – 7 oz Bag
Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Marie’s Magical Dinner Dust is a protein-rich dog food topper made with cage-free chicken. It is designed to add the power and taste of raw food to your dog’s diet in a convenient way. The dust is made primarily of chicken, organs, and bone, and is fortified with vitamins and minerals to support overall health. It also includes organic fruits and vegetables for added antioxidants and natural nutrition.
#12 – Wellness Bowl Boosters Simply Shreds Natural Grain Free Wet Dog Food Mixer or Topper, Chicken, Beef & Carrots, 2.8-Ounce Pouch(Pack of 12)
Wellness Bowl Boosters Simply Shreds Natural Grain Free Wet Dog Food Mixer or Topper is a savory and protein-packed addition to your dog’s meal. Made with high-quality protein and nutrient-rich veggies in broth, it adds texture and flavor to your dog’s bowl. It is free from common allergens such as corn, wheat, and soy, making it suitable for dogs with food sensitivities. This product can be served on top of your dog’s food, mixed in, or even served as a snack to provide variety in their diet.
What Makes a Quality Dog Food Mixer?
When selecting a quality dog food mixer, there are several factors to consider to ensure that it complements your dog’s primary diet and promotes optimal health:
- High-Quality Ingredients: A good dog food mixer should contain whole, natural, and easily recognizable ingredients. Avoid mixers that list fillers, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives among their primary ingredients.
- Nutritional Value: Look for mixers that provide essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that might be beneficial for your dog. The mixer should complement your dog’s primary food and not just serve as empty calories.
- Protein Source: A quality mixer will often have a good protein source, such as lean meats, poultry, or fish, listed as one of the primary ingredients.
- No Fillers or By-products: A top-notch mixer will not contain unnecessary fillers or by-products. Instead, every ingredient will serve a nutritional purpose.
- Appropriate Texture and Moisture: Depending on your dog’s preferences and needs, you might opt for mixers that are wet, semi-moist, or even freeze-dried. Some dogs may require added moisture in their diet, making wet mixers a beneficial addition.
- Dietary Needs: If your dog has specific dietary needs or allergies, ensure the mixer aligns with those needs. There are mixers available that are grain-free, limited ingredient, or specially formulated for dogs with sensitivities.
- Palatability: The mixer should be appetizing to your dog, encouraging them to eat their entire meal.
- Positive Reviews and Recommendations: High-quality products often have positive reviews from other pet owners and might even come recommended by veterinarians.
- Transparent Labeling: Companies that provide clear, transparent information about ingredient sourcing, nutritional content, and manufacturing processes are more likely to produce quality products.
- Brand Reputation: Brands with a track record of safety, quality control, and dedication to canine nutrition are often more trustworthy.
Remember, while dog food mixers can enhance a meal’s taste and nutritional content, they should not replace a balanced primary diet. Always ensure that the primary dog food meets all of your pet’s nutritional needs and use mixers as supplementary additions.
What Are The Benefits of Using Dog Food Mixers & Mix-Ins?
Using dog food mixers and mix-ins can offer several advantages to your canine companion’s diet and overall eating experience:
- Enhanced Palatability: One of the primary reasons pet owners use mixers is to entice picky eaters. The added flavors and varied textures can make mealtime more appealing, ensuring that dogs receive the necessary nutrients.
- Dietary Variety: Just like humans, dogs can enjoy a change in their diet from time to time. Mixers can introduce new flavors and textures, preventing mealtime monotony.
- Supplementary Nutrition: Some mix-ins are formulated to provide additional nutrients that might not be present in sufficient amounts in the primary dog food. This includes essential fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- Tailored Nutritional Needs: Dog food mixers can help address specific health concerns. For instance, mixers with joint-supporting ingredients like glucosamine can be beneficial for older dogs, while mix-ins rich in omega fatty acids can support skin and coat health.
- Added Moisture: Wet food mixers can introduce additional moisture into a dog’s diet, which is beneficial for hydration, especially for dogs that don’t drink water frequently.
- Easier Medication Administration: For dogs that require medication, mix-ins can help mask the taste of pills or capsules, making it easier for pet owners to ensure their pets get the necessary treatment.
- Transitioning Diets: If you’re changing your dog’s primary food, mixers can act as a bridge. Introducing the new food as a mixer first can help with the adjustment process, both in terms of flavor acceptance and digestive transition.
- Weight Management: For dogs that need to gain weight, calorie-dense mixers can help increase the overall caloric intake. Conversely, for weight loss, low-calorie mixers can add volume and satiety without adding many calories.
- Digestive Health: Some mixers contain probiotics, fiber, or specific enzymes designed to promote better digestion and gut health.
- Wholesome Ingredients: High-quality mixers often incorporate wholesome, natural ingredients that might not be present in the primary diet, such as superfoods, fresh meats, or unique protein sources.
While dog food mixers offer numerous benefits, it’s essential to choose them wisely and ensure they complement the primary diet. Over-reliance on mixers or choosing ones with subpar ingredients can negate their benefits. Always consult with a veterinarian or a pet nutritionist when making significant changes to a dog’s diet.
Frequently Asked Questions about Dog Food Mixers
1. What are dog food mixers?
Dog food mixers are supplemental food items or toppings added to a dog’s primary diet to enhance flavor, provide additional nutrients, or address specific health concerns. They come in various forms like wet food, freeze-dried chunks, or powders.
2. Why should I use a dog food mixer?
Using a mixer can make mealtime more appealing for picky eaters, introduce dietary variety, offer supplementary nutrition, and address specific dietary needs or health concerns. It can also assist with transitioning between foods or administering medication.
3. Are dog food mixers a replacement for regular dog food?
No, mixers are meant to supplement a dog’s primary diet, not replace it. While they can enhance the nutritional value, they shouldn’t serve as the only source of nutrition unless directed by a veterinarian.
4. Can dog food mixers help my picky eater?
Yes, dog food mixers can entice picky eaters by introducing new flavors and textures to their meals. The added palatability can make mealtime more exciting and ensure your dog consumes the necessary nutrients.
5. How much mixer should I add to my dog’s food?
Always follow the recommended serving size on the mixer’s packaging and adjust based on your dog’s size, activity level, and dietary needs. It’s essential not to overfeed or unbalance the primary diet.
6. Are there any risks associated with using mixers?
As with any addition to a dog’s diet, there’s a risk of allergies, intolerances, or digestive upset. It’s crucial to introduce mixers gradually and monitor your dog for any adverse reactions.
7. Can mixers assist with dietary transitions or changing dog foods?
Yes, introducing a new food as a mixer before fully transitioning can help a dog adjust both in terms of flavor acceptance and digestive adaptation, making the change smoother.
8. Do mixers have any benefits for older dogs?
Certainly, many mixers cater to the specific needs of senior dogs, offering joint-supporting ingredients, easier-to-digest formulas, or supplements that cater to aging concerns.
9. Are all dog food mixers the same?
No, mixers vary widely in terms of ingredients, nutritional content, and purpose. Some are designed for flavor enhancement, while others provide specific nutrients or health benefits. It’s essential to choose based on your dog’s unique needs.
10. Should I consult my veterinarian before adding a mixer to my dog’s diet?
It’s always a good idea to discuss dietary changes with your veterinarian, especially if your dog has health issues or is on medication. They can provide guidance on the most suitable options and potential interactions.
Conclusion: Best Dog Food Mixers
Choosing the right dog food mixer can transform mealtime for your pet, turning it into a delightful experience filled with diverse tastes and essential nutrients. As we’ve explored, the best mixers not only enhance flavor but also cater to specific dietary needs and health concerns. By selecting the right product, you can ensure your dog looks forward to every meal while benefiting from a balanced, nutritious diet. Remember always to consult with your veterinarian before introducing any new components to your dog’s diet, ensuring their health remains a top priority.